Osso Bucco Style Beef Short Ribs
12 beef short ribs, about 2 inches long
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 onions, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups dry red wine
2 cups rich beef broth
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat your oven to 325F.
- In a large dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Pat the short ribs dry with paper towel, then season generously with salt and pepper. Brown half the beef ribs on all sides in the hot oil, then transfer to to a plate and repeat with remaining ribs.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic to the hot pot and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are browned and the onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the red wine, broth, tomatoes and bay leaves and bring to a simmer, making sure your scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Nestle the short ribs in the simmering mixture, then cover the pot with the lid slightly ajar. Transfer to the oven and cook for about 3 hours, until the meat is very tender and falling off the bone.
- Once the beef is fully cooked and tender, stir the parsley into the braising liquid and serve right away with polenta or risotto.