Shredded Beef Ragu
Tri tip steak for date night.
Write a review
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (450 g) Prince Edward Island Certified Island Beef tri tip steak, cut into roughly 2” (5 cm) cubes
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) ground black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 14 oz (400 mL) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup (240 mL) red wine
- ½ cup (120 mL) beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 fresh pasta sheets (about 1.5 oz/ 45 g each)
- Heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Brown the beef on all sides, working in batches if necessary to prevent overcrowding. Set beef aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Sauté the onion, carrots, celery and garlic until softened and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Mix in the tomato paste to evenly coat the vegetables and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the tomato paste has turned a rust colour.
- Add back the beef and any accumulated juices along with the crushed tomatoes, red wine, beef broth and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce the heat to low. Gently simmer until the beef is very tender, about 1.5 hours.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Discard the bay leaf and transfer the beef to a bowl. Using 2 forks, shred the beef into small bite-size pieces. Stir the beef back into the sauce.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cut the pasta sheets lengthwise into ½” (1 cm) thick ribbons or to your desired size. Cook the pasta in the salted water until al dente, about 3 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Add about 1 cup (240 mL) of meat sauce and toss to coat well. Divide the pasta between two plates and top with a little extra sauce. Garnish with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Fresh pasta sheets can be found in the deli section of the supermarket, sometimes labelled as lasagna sheets. If unavailable, substitute with fresh cut pasta like linguine or dried pasta. This recipe makes lots of sauce for leftovers.
Atlantic Beef Products https://www.abpi.ca/