Pho Beef Pinwheels
Eye of Round for entertaining a crowd.
Write a review
- 1 lb (450 g) Prince Edward Island Certified Island Beef eye of round
- 1 package of Compliments frozen puff pastry sheets (2 sheets), thawed according to package directions
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Chinese 5 spice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup (60 mL) cilantro leaves
- Pat the beef dry with paper towels. With a sharp knife, cut beef against the grain into as thin of rounds as possible. Set aside.
- Unroll 1 puff pastry sheet, leaving it on the parchment paper it comes in. With the long side facing you, brush the puff pastry with half of the sesame oil leaving a 1” (2.5 cm) border at the top.
- Layer half of the beef on the puff pastry, then sprinkle with half of the Chinese 5 spice, salt, and green onions, again leaving a 1” (2.5 cm) border at the top.
- Lightly moisten the top edge of the puff pastry then carefully roll up into a pinwheel, starting with the edge closest to you. Press to seal.
- Repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry and the remainder of the sesame oil, Chinese 5 spice, salt and green onions.
- Wrap both rolls in the reserved parchment paper and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled and firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (218°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking sheets.
- Unwrap the rolls and cut into 1/2” (1 cm) slices, about 16 per roll. Arrange pinwheels on lined baking sheets. Bake until puff pastry is golden brown and crispy, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Garnish each pinwheel with a slice of cucumber, a drizzle of hoisin sauce and a cilantro leaf or two. Serve immediately.
- Chilling the filled puff pastry before baking ensures the end result is light and flaky. Baking warm puff pastry make the dough soggy and greasy, so avoid skipping this step if possible. If you can’t find Chinese 5 spice, substitute equal parts ground fennel, anise, Szechuan or black pepper, and cinnamon with a pinch of ground cloves.
Atlantic Beef Products https://www.abpi.ca/