Grilled Beef Steak Sandwich with Melted Onions
This delicious lean beef sandwich recipe is an excellent source of zinc and iron. Serve the Grilled Beef Steak Sandwich with Melted Onions open faced if desired.
Write a review
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) red wine vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt and hot pepper flakes
- 1 lb (500 g) Prince Edward Island Certified Island Beef Inside Round or Sirloin Tip Marinating Steak/Medallions
- 1 sweet onion (e.g. Vidalia), sliced
- 1 whole wheat or regular baguette, quartered and halved lengthwise
- ½ bunch arugula, trimmed
- Combine 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and hot pepper flakes in sealable freezer bag. Set aside 2 tbsp (30 mL) of marinade. Using fork, pierce meat all over; add to marinade in bag. Refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours.
- Remove steak from bag and pat dry with paper towel. Discard used marinade. Grill steak over medium-high heat, about 6 to 8 minutes, turning at least twice, for medium-rare doneness 145°F(63°C). Let steak rest on carving board for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pan-fry onion in remaining oil over medium heat in non-stick skillet for 10 minutes or until softened and golden. Toss with reserved marinade.
- Slice steak thinly on the diagonal. Drape slices of steak on each baguette bottom piece. Top each with warm onions and arugula.
- Excellent source of iron (31% DV) and zinc (74% DV), 27% DV sodium (651 mg).
Atlantic Beef Products https://www.abpi.ca/