Prime Rib Steak with Cilantro Ginger Sauce
Prime rib steak perfect for date night.
Write a review
- 1 bundle (1.5 oz/40 g) cilantro leaves and stems
- 1” (2.5 cm) knob of ginger, peeled
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and stem removed
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- ¼ cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp (3.75 mL) honey
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1 Prince Edward Island Certified Island Beef bone-in prime rib steak, (about 1.5 lb / 675g)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) kosher salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) ground black pepper
- Make the sauce by blending the cilantro, ginger, garlic, jalapeno, lime zest & juice, oil, honey and salt in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Adjust an oven rack to about 4” (10 cm) away from the element. Place an oven-safe cast iron skillet on the rack and preheat the broiler for 15 minutes.
- Pat the steak dry using paper towels. Generously season the steak on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Carefully pull out the top rack of the oven with the skillet just enough to transfer the steak to the skillet. Place the skillet back in the oven and broil for 8 minutes for medium-rare, 10 minutes for medium, or 12 minutes for medium-well, flipping half way through.
- Remove the steak from the oven and loosely cover with foil. Let rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Cut away the bone and thinly slice the steak. Rearrange in the beef in the skillet and drizzle with the cilantro ginger sauce.
- The sauce can be made a day or two ahead of time and stored in the fridge. It also freezes well. It may get a little smoky in the oven as the steak is broiling so be prepared to open the windows if necessary.
Atlantic Beef Products http://www.abpi.ca/