Kid friendly with lean ground beef.
Write a review
- 1 onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 red pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 celery rib, cut into large chunks
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1.5 lb (675 g) Prince Edward Island Certified Island Beef lean ground beef
- 14 oz (400 mL) crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup (60 mL) BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) ground black pepper
- 2 tubes refrigerated biscuit dough
- All-purpose flour (as needed)
- Water (as needed)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a food processor, finely chop the onion, red pepper, celery & garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the chopped vegetables until softened and most of the moisture has been released, about 3 minutes. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, BBQ sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly flour a clean working surface and grab a rolling pin if you have one. Roll or pat each piece of biscuit dough into 5-6” (13-15 cm) circle.
- To make the hand pies, place a heaping spoonful (a scant ¼ cup/60 mL) of beef filling on one half of the biscuit dough, leaving a ½” (1 cm) border. Lightly brush the edge of the dough with water, fold the dough over the filling and pressing to seal using the tines of a fork. Place on the prepared baking sheets and repeat with the remaining biscuit dough and filling.
- Bake the hand pies until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before serving as the filling will be quite hot.
- It’s just as easy to make a lot as it is to make a little! These freeze beautifully and you’ll be happy to have extra on hand for an easy meal in the future.
Atlantic Beef Products http://www.abpi.ca/