Moroccan Beef Stew
Boneless blade cut for entertaining a crowd.
Write a review
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 lb (900 g) Prince Edward Island Certified Island Beef boneless blade roast, cut into 1” cubes
- 1 onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into large chunks
- 2 cups (500 mL) beef broth
- 14 oz (400 mL) crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup (60 mL) dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1” (2.5 cm) knob of ginger, peeled & minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 3 cups (750 mL) baby spinach
- 14 oz (400 mL) canned chickpeas, rinsed
- ½ cup (120 mL) roasted unsalted almonds
- ½ lemon, zested & juiced
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- ¾ tsp (3.75 mL) salt
- 3 cups (750 mL) couscous
- ½ cup (120 mL) raisins
- ¼ cup (60 mL) mint, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the beef on all sides, working in batches if necessary to prevent overcrowding the pan. Transfer the beef to a slow cooker and add the onion, carrots, beef broth, crushed tomatoes, dates, garlic, ginger, cumin, paprika, cinnamon and salt.
- Cook the stew on low heat until the beef and vegetables are tender, about 8 hours.
- Turn off the slow cooker and stir in the spinach, almonds, chickpeas and lemon zest & juice. Let it warm through as you make the couscous.
- Bring the water and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the couscous and raisins, cover and remove from the heat. Let sit undisturbed for 5 minutes. Stir to fluff the couscous.
- Serve the stew over the couscous.
- Make this stew in stages for the ultimate make ahead meal. Step 1 can be completed the night before serving. Cover the slow cooker insert and refrigerate overnight. The next morning; place in the insert in the slow cooker and set it on low for 8 hours.
Atlantic Beef Products http://www.abpi.ca/