Join us in excellence.
Prince Edward Island Certified Beef is a premium product attracting a competitive premium price at retail – allowing the partnership between business and Island farmers to grow and thrive.
Producers wishing to be enrolled in the brand must:
- sign a licensing agreement
- maintain a valid Environmental Farm Planning certificate
- attend a Humane Handling workshop
All cattle for the brand must:
- be raised on PEI farms
- be Age Verified and under 30 months of age
- be fed a ration where 40% of DM during the last 100 days comes from grain
- be fed 500 IU/head/day of Vitamin E during the last 100 days
- have no synthetic hormones
- have no antibiotics, including Rumensin and Bovatec, during the last 100 days
- have a tag score of 3 or less
- grade AA or higher
- dress between 700 – 900 lbs
- be marketed to the Atlantic Beef Products Inc. (ABP).
Recommended, but not required, producer activities:
- be registered under the Verified Beef Production Program
- have a vaccination and prevention program for the herd
All producers marketing under the Prince Edward Island Certified Beef brand are audited annually.
The premium for the brand has been negotiated and will be paid by the Distributor on a per carcass basis. This will be divided as follows:
- 30% to Atlantic Beef Products
- 30% for brand marketing
- 40% for PEI Certified Beef Producer
(30% feedlot producer / 10% cattle producer)
For additional information on the certified program, please contact:
PEI Cattle Producers
PEI Department of Agriculture and Forestry
Dr. Les Halliday